Saturday 25 August 2007

Cool airport of the day

I'm one of those people that loves aeroplanes but hates flying. Actually, the flying is OK, it's just the crashing that I'm not too thrilled about. Like most people that hate flying the phobia gets worse as I get older and, predictably, my work has seen me take over a hundred flights in the last few years. My method of dealing with it is to book myself with the same airline, pick the same type of aircraft where possible and sit in the same seat (exit row) every flight because then I know all of the noises and bumps and what to expect. I also force myself to look out of the window during the entire take off and landing phases rather than doing what a lot of people do - sit back and close my eyes, as that simply magnifies the bumps.

Today's cool airport of the day is at the ski resort of Courcheval in France. At one end, the runway is 1941m (6386') and at the other it's 2006m (6581'). There's a 535m (1760') part of the runway that is at an amazing angle of 18.5 degrees.

You know there's no flat spot anywhere in the area when the airport has to look like this:



It must be a daunting view for first time visitors.



So what's at the end of the runway if you don't have enough speed up?



OK. Nothing...



And what does an aeroplane look like when it's on its departure run?



An amazing place that just goes to show how versatile aeroplanes really are.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jack ... I share your enthusiasm about flying in a tin can somewhere. I do enjoy the flight when it becomes level, except for the take off and landing ... it's all white knuckle stuff at those parts of the journey. I nearly always get a window seat so I know whether we are going to crash or otherwise. I've also spent a reasonable time seated in helicopters ... the best part is when they hover between one foot and zero ... no higher. But I'm an areoplane enthusiast, go figure!
Interesting photos.

Isumbras said...

Avoid Papua New Guinea then Jack, or the interior at least. Short airstrips with drop offs just as in the photos, except forget the tarmac.. grass.

Jack Lacton said...

Michael,

My family spent three years in PNG so I'm sure that some of the airports up in the mountains will get a run at some point.